We have already published an article about post-editing, a procedure which consists of mixing machine translation with human translation. This process has two stages. First of all, the text must be translated with a machine translator. Then, the translated text is edited so it seems that it was made by a professional translator. In this article, we will share with you the main post-editing types that you can choose from if you hire this service. You can choose one of these options according to what you need.
In this type of post-editing, the text remains similar to the machine translation.
- Errors related to meaning or context are corrected during post-editing but minimum errors are acceptable.
- There aren’t style corrections even though there are different variations throughout the entire text.
- Neither punctuation nor grammar errors are corrected.
To sum up, this type of post-editing aims to keep the text understandable without making lots of corrections.
On the other hand, the main purpose of the complete post-editing is that the translated text remains the same as the original text.
- Thorough corrections are made and punctuation, grammatical or meaning errors aren’t allowed.
- Any error of the machine translator is corrected.
- The style must be consistent and appropriate for the target audience.
To sum up, the main purpose of complete post-editing is that machine translation is as similar as possible to human translation.
Although the post-editing tool helps to reduce deadlines and costs, not all texts are appropriate for this process. Some texts are highly technical, so if you use machine translators to translate them it will be more difficult as the quality of the translation wouldn’t be good. That is why human translation is recommended for these documents. If you want to know everything about specialized translation, take some time to read about the importance of terminology in specialized translation.
Don’t forget that Traduality offers translation and subtitling services, as well as detailed post-editing for your project.